September 18, 2018

Pinspiration: Harvest Wheat Bundle

I honestly debated whether or not I wanted to make this week's DIY this early. But with it getting pretty chilly last week, I was inspired to bring out my fall (and Halloween) decorations, and to make this. It's a pretty simple decoration, once it's done, which is what I was looking for. This did take a little while to complete, but I'm really glad I found this.

Pinso found here
Here's what you'll need:
1 Styrofoam Cone (I used the 9" here)
Wheat Bundle (here or here)-- I had 4 bundles
Burlap Ribbon (I used this)
Accent Color Ribbon (I used this  but in navy)
Hot Glue

I did not end up using either of these ribbons. See the above links for what I did use.

The DIY I followed, instructed to cut the top part of the Styrofoam cone off about an inch and a half. I didn't listen (because I obviously know better), but I wish I had. Once you start gluing the strands of wheat, you realize how narrow the top is and how wide the bottom is. My recommendation, cut the top off about and inch and a half.

Once you cut the top off, take a strand of wheat and use the hot glue to glue it down. Repeat this all the way around. Each strand will be longer than the base of the Styrofoam. Once the hot glue as truly dried, take a pair of regular scissors and cut them to the same level as the base.

You will notice how tight the top will start to feel (although, it may not be as tight if you cut the top off). Once the top of the cone was completely full, the bottom part still had some gaps. I took the extra strands that I had cut off from the strands that were glued down and used them to fill in the gaps. Then I look my remaining strands and filled in any gaps between strands around the entire bundle. Again, I cut down the full length strands to meet the base of the Styrofoam.

There wasn't too much ribbon off center, so I tucked it under the part that went around the bundle.
I let this all dry overnight, to be really sure nothing would move or get loose. The next day, I measured out the burlap ribbon. I made sure it went around fully, one time. Because of where I wanted it to sit, the top was more narrow that the bottom, which did not make it a straight connection in the back. I used the hot glue to glue it in place, so it wouldn't slide or pucker.

Then I measured out my navy ribbon, making sure it was long enough to tie in a knot and still have extra to drape in front. Sine my burlap ribbon actually had some lace in the middle, I glued the navy ribbon, so it was in the middle of the lace. I didn't want the whole lace to show, which is why I added the navy ribbon in the first place. Then I tied the navy ribbon into a knot. 


And that's it. This Pinspiration is a little time consuming, mostly because you spend a lot of time waiting for the hot glue to dry. I would suggest having a movie or something on while making this one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment