July 26, 2017

Wedding Tips: Writing your own Vows

For B and I, we wanted as much of our wedding day to really reflect our love as possible. We picked colors that we really like, added bits of our fandoms and made sure to have as much of our closest friends and family there as possible. One thing that we wanted to make sure was purely us: our vows. We are, after all, making these promises to one another.


From the get-go we knew we wanted to write our own. We wanted them to be personal, but very us. We both had a running list of ideas on our phones for things we wanted to write about. When we finally sat down to write them, we pulled our favorite ideas together. Our officiant had even sent us samples in case we wanted to use any of those. Then I searched on Pinterest (because in case it isn’t obvious, Pinterest was a saving grace!), for a few more fun ideas. We didn’t want them to be stiff or boring!


Both B and I pulled a few lines from the three places we were using as resources to create what would become our vows. We were asked by a few people if we were planning on keeping them secret until the ceremony or if we were going to share them. At first I wanted to have them be a surprise, but after talking about it we realized, what if I have serious vows and he has funny? What if mine are short and sweet but his are long and descriptive? So we decided to work together, and we found the perfect balance.


If you are looking to write your own, I definitely recommend it! But don’t be afraid to find inspiration from somewhere else too! I saw this as a very personal promise that I wanted to make sure truly expressed how I feel and what I intend to do. But don’t worry if you don’t want to write your own either. Our officiant had samples that a lot of couples have used. You can also find samples online if your officiant doesn’t have any. There are plenty of options, so don’t feel pressured either way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment