July 28, 2017

Peabody Essex Museum: Wearable Art

A few months ago, B and I went to a museum in Salem, MA (yes, where the witches were) to see an exhibit on Wearable Art. Every time I hear of a fashion exhibit somewhere within driving distance, I try to go. Over the years I’ve seen Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, Princess Diana, Hippie Style (1960), Hats, Shoes and a few others. It’s so cool to see the different fashions you’ve seen on celebrities, in movies or your parents’ closets!

Top left: Debutante dress // Top right: Hippie Chic dress 
Bottom left: Diana // Bottom right: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

This exhibit was a little different from the other one’s I’ve been to (expect maybe the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty). This exhibit had garments made from non-traditional materials, and in a non-traditional way. There was a bodysuit that covered the entire body, a dress made out of felt to like Notre Dame, and another dress made to look like a car, headlights and all!




These types of exhibits always amaze me. As a designer, you have to be extremely talented and patient to be able to take non-traditional materials and make something that can go on a human body. While I was in college, I saw the design students would have to do something similar and I was always amazed at what they would come up with. I’ve always been a museum lover, and sometimes you can find little jewels like this that are truly amazing. Unfortunately, if you were planning on making a trip, it has already ended. I don’t know if it’s moved on to another museum or if it’s been packed away, but if you see it in your area, definitely make the trip to see it! And remember to always keep your eyes peeled for more exhibits like this!






3 comments:

  1. Very interesting, though no my style!😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Not my style either, but I love seeing things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if someone actually wore them they would get some odd looks, except on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete