August 15, 2017

Pinspiration: Tropical Welcome Mat

Today's Pinspiration is from Lydi Out Loud

I'm definitely still obsessed with the fruit and tropical trend that's happening right now, and I want to bring it out in my home decor. Nothing too crazy, because the minute I go all in, we'll all move on to something else. Story of my life, seriously, but I've realized that if I can do a few little things of a trend, I'll be happy with that!


So here's what you'll need:
Natural doormat (I got mine here)
Stencil of the design you want, unless you're going to free-hand
DecoArt Outdoor paint in the colors you need (I got mine here)

First I figured out where I wanted to paint each pineapple. I started with the one that would go the farthest to the left. I tried using tape to hold down the stencil, but due to the material of the mat, it wouldn't stick. So I ended up using two weights. If you end up doing this, just be cautious of how close you get, because I ended up getting some paint on one of my weights.


Once I had the stencil down and secure, I put a TON of the green paint in a bowl so I could spread it onto the door mat. I’m not sure if it was the mat that I was using, but it seemed to just drink in the paint. I ended up needing 2 full bottles of each the yellow and green. Had I known this, I probably would have just bought the bigger container of each. But that being said, don't be afraid to really use a lot of paint!

I ended up starting with a darker yellow, then switched to a brighter one. Luckily you can't tell on the final pineapples!

After both the yellow and green parts of the first pineapple were painted, I picked up the stencil and moved it over a little to the next spot I wanted one. Then I repeated this for the last pineapple. Since I wanted three pineapples in total, I put them a little closer together. But since the mat is a pretty good size, they don’t look like they are crowding one another!




Once all the paint was dry, I put it at my front door and am enjoying it for the rest of this summer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment