November 09, 2016

Wedding Tips: Dress Shopping

Take all the ideas and styles you love of wedding dresses you love and throw them out the window! This may seem slightly shocking, but the dress you'll ultimately choose will likely not be the one you had in mind. After watching many hours of SYTTD and considering multiple dress reviews, I truly wonder if anyone actually buys the style they thought they liked most. I certainly didn't.

For the last couple of years (yes, even before getting engaged), I had a certain style of dress in mind. I even cut images out of magazines (old school right?), and posted many pics on my Pinterest board with basically the same style dress. But when I actually tried on dresses, I found that I was a little bored with that style. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's beautiful, but I also wanted something that really "felt" special for a wedding dress. I mean it is after all a really special and extraordinary day. So here are a few tips I've discovered from personal experience:

1. Eat something before going out.
    This may seem like a funny thing to start with, but trying on a lot of dresses can be exhausting! You may think you'll be too full to try on dresses, but most dresses will actually be large (since you're shopping for style not size), and you'll need to get the dress tailored to fit you anyway, so the initial try on won't be what the dress ultimately looks like in terms of fit. Also, you'll need the energy for simply getting in and out of multiple dresses, let alone having reactions to them! I know when I'm hungry, the last thing I want to do is try on dresses (plus, these are not ordinary dresses, but elaborate gowns, which can be intricate and weigh a lot)!

2. Go shopping with an open mind
     As I've mentioned above, you'll probably fall in love with something unexpected. So, start with what you thought you wanted, but then be open to trying something you never thought you'd consider. Remember: clothing often looks different on the hanger than on your body -- which is why we try things on!


3. Bring people who won't pressure you
    Finding a dress is actually really stressful. You want to look beautiful, you want your partner to love it, and you want your wedding guests to be wowed. So how do you find a dress, when everyone has their own opinions? Before going dress shopping, discuss with those accompanying you what your ideal dress looks like (despite my aforementioned advice). Then, share with them the budget (as awkward as it may be), so hopefully they can help you stay close within the price range. Then have fun! This is a really exciting experience to share with some who are closest to you!


4. Don't forget to check the "off-the-rack" dresses
    These dresses are often the last of their kind, or clearance dresses. Like all retail, boutiques are just trying to make room for the newer styles by marking older styles down. The one thing to keep in mind with off-the-rack dresses, is that they normally need to be paid for up-front and in full, unlike newer dresses, which can be purchased through a payment plan.


5. When you know, you know.
     Just like your partner, when you find the dress you love, you'll know. If there is any doubt, it probably isn't the dress for you. I was a little skeptical about "the feeling" when I started trying on dresses, but once I slipped on my dress, it took my breathe away, and I felt a little giddy. When I stepped out of the dressing room to show my girls, they were a little quiet at first, and then became really excited. Every dress I tried on after (I mean I had to be sure right?), never measured up to "the one".

I hope these tips help! Happy shopping!


*Neither of these dresses are "the one" for me...you'll just have to wait for that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment