November 28, 2017

Pinspiration: Pumpkin/Ornament Stand

Recently I found a lot of decorations that are multi-holiday or seasonal: one side of the decoration is for fall (or Halloween) and the other side is for winter (or Christmas). Most of them are soo cute and look really easy to make, so I wanted to try a few. The first one I made is a pumpkin decoration and an ornament.

Today's Pinspiration from: Over the Big Moon

Here's what you'll need:
Round pieces of wood (here) --the amount is up to how many you plan on making. I got two.
Small wooden leaves
Orange, green, red, white and gold paint
Hot Glue & gun
Stand (optional)



I started by painting one side of the large round pieces of wood the shade of orange I wanted.  The sides are rounded so I picked a "middle" point on the edges and painted to that point. I painted two coats of the base orange. Then once both layers were dry I painted a darker shade of orange lines to give it a 3 dimensional look. I started with the orange for the pumpkin, in case it took me a long time to get to the ornament. That way, I could have the pumpkin as decoration during the season! While the orange was drying, I painted the leaves green. Like the pumpkins, I did two layers of green.



Once the orange paint was completely dry (I actually waited a couple of days not only to make sure it was dry, but, also, because I didn't have time to return to the project for a few days anyways), I flipped them over to paint the ornament side. The main colors for this surface included white and red. Before painting I sketched rough lines in pencil of where I wanted the curve to be and where I would later be adding the green circles. Again, like the orange, I painted two layers of the red paint, but the white required about 4 coats.


When the base colors were completed, I lightly sketched the details in pencil, then went over with the paint. I also painted two layers for the details. Once all of this paint was dry, I flipped it back to the pumpkin side and hot-glued the leaves to it.


The Pinspiration I found actually has the Pumpkin/Ornament on a stand, but I didn't need them in our last apartment. I was able to lean it against furniture or a wall and it actually looked fine. In our new apartment, I can't do that (apparently the floors are really slippery for the materials!), so I will probably add a stand. I will update this post when I complete this part, but this is an optional step, so don't worry if you want to skip this step.

Happy DIYing!

No comments:

Post a Comment